Jul 18, 2010

What were the Top 10 Diets of 2009?

Well according the Shape magazine they were:
#1. The Structure House Weight Loss Plan: which is a holistic approach to weight loss. Holistic meaning nutrition, exercise, stress management and personal relationships are all part of the whole and should all be in balance.

#2. The Step Diet: This one is really easy, even my 78 year old Mom went and bought her a pedi-meter so she could do her 10,000 steps each day.  (She bought me one too!)  You go Mom!

#3. Weight Watchers: Who doesn't know about this organization?  They have their own cook books, magazines, food and a great way to balance your meals by counting points. 

#4. The Eating Well Diet: is all about your behavior and how it relates to the food you eat.  I just checked this book out from my local library and I will let you know what I think about it when I've had time to read it.  I also checked out a ton of older magazines and a couple of art books-so I've got plenty to read over the next three weeks!

#5. Volumetrics Eating Plan: I've never heard of this one before but according to the magazine, it's based on a variety of foods that fill you up, helping you to eat less.  Sort of the same principles that the magazines are all sharing-eat what fills you up, keeps you full longer, you eat less.  I'm willing to give it a try!  Here's a few things to help: Oatmeal- has tons of good things going for it, Eggs-great for energy & protein that helps keep you feeling full, Chili Pepper: helps you burn more calories, Beans: triggers a key appetite hormone that makes you feel fuller longer, Vegi's: bulk up your plate with vegi's and you could lose 25% more weight.  Tuna and other fish: keeps you feeling fuller longer.  I've tried some of these and you know what-it works!  I don't need that mid-day snack if I have one of these for lunch!  Try it and see for yourself.

#6. The Best Life Diet: Bob Greene's plan is about lifestyle changes.  I do have one of his exercise videos, sorry but I'm not impressed.  Haven't found his diet cookbook yet, but haven't been trying very hard. 

#7. The Solution: This questions the reasons why you over eat.  I've never heard of this diet either, but I do know I have my comfort foods that I just will not give up.  Bag of chips anybody!  I will limit myself, but I won't give them up.  I gave up chocolate-mostly-does that count? 

#8. You: On a Diet: OK, this one I've never heard of either, but it's about losing weight with a bit of humor.  We can all use a bit of humor in our lives.  Will have to check this one out.

#9. The Sonoma Diet:  I think we've all heard about this one, was really popular with all the fitness magazines last year.  You couldn't turn on the TV or read a magazine without hearing about the "Mediterranean Diet".  I'll pass thanks!

#10. The Spectrum Diet: which is again a holistic approach to losing weight by balancing all aspects of your life. 

So, here they are: how many have you tried?  I'm still checking out a few others, but I kind of like "The Biggest Loser" for motivation.  Even if the show is sort of, kind of phony to me, I enjoy the motivation it gives me and if I run across any of their books at a yard sale, I won't pass them up. 

2 comments:

Krista said...

Weight watchers has worked for me. I have been a member for a year and lost 52 lbs. It helps you change your eating habits, try new things, and think about the reasons you may munch. I still have some to go before I am at my goal, but I have the confidence that I can get there.

Cynthia (Cindy) Powell said...

That is fantastic! Congratulations! I haven't tried the WW plan but my SIL swears by it. Right now you can join for only $1! I do have some of their magazines and I buy some of the desserts-not many though!