Jul 7, 2010

Exercise

I think we all hate that word, especially when it's used in conjunction with DIET!  Actually though, in reality, exercise is wonderful.  Your body starts to crave it and wants it everyday, once you get into the habit of doing some sort of exercise each and every day.  Whether you take a walk around a park, jump rope, roller skate, swim, fish or lift weights at the gym, we need to move.  We need to work those muscles that make up our bodies structure. 
I've always "not-liked" yoga. It's simple really, I can't get into half of the positions, so I gave up and went to Tai-Chi instead.  Well this is a great workout-low impact, but really did nothing for me.  No endorphines flying around inside my brain.  Recently, I found the best of both worlds!  Core workout training with the Swiss Ball.   These come in various sizes and well, naturally I wanted them all-but a couple will do the trick.  These large balls are great for improving your balance,  (just sitting on one will work wonders to improve your balance and posture!), they are great for stretching out those tired, sometimes over-worked muscles (which is what I love about these exercises), great for burning calories and flattening the abs (this part hasn't worked for me yet-but I haven't given up!) and if you have a book that illustrates all the various exercises you can do using these balls, then you are ahead of the game.  I found a wonderful book: "Swiss Ball"-core workout by: Declan Condron that shows beautiful color photos of each exercise, structured for various levels, timed workouts and intensity training.  It starts you out with a 25 minute workout-mostly stretching and by the end of 6-8 weeks you will be working out for almost an hour.  Each section is divided into several workouts, so it's a varied routine daily.  You don't have to keep doing the same things over and over again, which is why we fail to enjoy our exercise.  Personally, I have to force myself to get on the tread mill to do my mile+ everyday.  I reward myself, by turning the TV on and watching Quilting Arts for 30 minutes!  I wonder how far I could walk-jog-run  if I was watching a favorite black and white movie!  :-D
So, what is your favorite exercise, well that is, if you have one?  I haven't found one I really, really like yet, but I do enjoy going to the gym and working out with all the weight equipment.  I'm working on getting into a varied routine that I am designing for myself, based on the equipment that I enjoy working out with.  This allows me to check out every piece of equipment at the gym, over a 6 week period.  I only go twice a week, but I could go up to 5 times if I want to include some swimming.  I keep telling myself I should do this and the pool looks real inviting.  They did get the heater fixed too, so what's stopping me?  I want to loose more weight and look good in my bathing suit.  I'm normal, huh?  :-D  It's a goal I'm working on....daily.

2 comments:

craftirn said...

I got the "wii EA Active More Workouts"for Mothers Day.I like it better than the first EA active, but both programs are very knee oriented and it kills my knees, but when they get to the step aroebics part I pull out my step (still have it)from the early 90's and I relly have fun. Now I'm finished with the 6 week challenge, I think I will try the 30 min step aroebic program just to see if I like it for 30 minutes instead of just what is incorporated into the workout!

Cynthia (Cindy) Powell said...

This is the first honest comment I've heard about the Wii and I'm sure for anyone suffering from arthritis, it is good information to know. I recently went and bought myself a walking stick/hiking stick so when I do lunges or squats, I'll be able to get back up! My knees are very painful too, but I continue to do low impact exercises which are helping and recently I started doing exercises in the pool, which cushions the impact even more.